Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Diary of a Working Mother

Well the day finally came on Monday that I've been dreading since I had Daniel.  Back to work for me.  I'm going to make a couple of observations which I'm sure to any working mom are obvious.

  • Getting out of the house in the morning is a process that starts as soon as I walk in the door the night before.  It is consumed with packing lunches while cooking dinner, washing bottles and pump parts, readying milk for daycare the next day and actually paying attention to my son.  I walk out the door with no less than three bags full of stuff plus the car seat (oh yeah, and the baby :) ) each morning.....I remember when I used to leave with my name tag and my purse.
  • Tired is the new normal.  I was just starting to get used to the 6-7 hours sleep that Daniel was giving me each night.  I would hit the pillow pretty much when he did and I was good to go.  I can't do that anymore.  He goes to sleep and I have a good hour of prep work, plus I'm getting up earlier than Daniel so I can shower before I feed him- 7 hours just went to 5 and if he wakes up in the night....less.
  • My house will never again be what I consider clean- only "just not that dirty".  
  • Work is a lot less exciting than looking at smiles and anticipating the next poop.
  • I miss the friends I made while I was on maternity leave.  Daniel somehow broke lose the extrovert that was hiding in me before I got pregnant.  It seems that babies help break down walls and makes people vulnerable enough to be real with each other.  I like it and I'm hoping some how I'll be able to keep up the friendships.
  • There's a huge mind shift between work and home and then vice versa.  I was having an incredibly difficult time yesterday being able to shift my gears enough to remember what my job actually entails....good thing I made a bunch of lists before I left.
  • I need to remember to be nicer to my husband and slow down.  Poor guy doesn't move at the same pace I do and doesn't really understand when I'm snippy because I'm behind schedule.  (Again with the mind shift).

Anyway that's it for now :)  Only 6 more hours until pickup from daycare.....not that I'm counting.

1 comment:

The Mayers said...

Your observations are right on...my definition of a clean house now is very different now. The good news it gets easier-- at least it did for me. Hang in there, seems like you are doing a great job so far.