Friday, August 6, 2010

Thankful Thursday- Holy Cow!

Wowwee this has been an amazing few weeks!  I've been fairly quiet about things online because most of the stuff that's been going on has been job related and of course it's never a good idea to speak too publically about how that stuff is going when you're in the midst of it.   Well it's all settled and done and all I can say is that God is good!

I've been struggling for a while with staying at the job I have because there were somethings that just didn't fit with my personality about it.  The company is a small family owned company which has been in business for a long time.  Although it's a tight knit group and things have been done the same way (and fairly well) for a long time, I really didn't fit in.  I was the youngest person in the office by about 10 years (unless you count the grouchy IT guy).  Beyond being a little bit of an outsider, I also struggled with continuing to work toward making one person rich. Don't get me wrong, I believe in hard work and that people should work for what they earn, however, I struggled with making someone who already had a lot of money richer on the backs of people who struggle.  I'm not struggling by any means as I've been given an incredible opportunity with my degree!  However, I did watch a lot of people in the shop work very hard for not very much money.  In fact, to the point where they struggled from paycheck to paycheck without living extravagant lives.  I spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of company I wanted to work for.  I wanted to do something that would make a difference in people's lives.  I am an accountant though, and I love what I do.  The best way I figured out I could affect others is to work by supporting an organization whose mission was to help others.   With the weight loss that my husband and I have had in recent months health has become more important to us than ever, so a hospital or health care organization was really what I wanted.

A few weeks ago I got an email from a recruiter that I'd worked with a couple of years ago when I was making my transition from public accounting out to regular industry accounting.  She sends out a periodic email about what positions she's trying to place and this one was for EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I sent her an email and wanted to find out more.  Well over the next couple of weeks I had two interviews and I ended up getting the job!!  I start with a large integrated health insurance company and provider on August 23rd.  I'm excited because the position I will be starting at has a lot of potential for growth as well as being able to really affect people's lives :)  

The only thing that I'm actually a little bit bummed about is leaving my boss.  She's been a great teacher and a friend over the last two years!  At least we can keep in touch.  She was also very gracious when I gave her my notice, which was a relief to me as I was afraid she would freak out at me.

Ok-enough about the job.

The other big news we have going right now is the continued weight loss.  I am coming up on 20 lbs lost!  I will know if I made it for sure on Saturday but I'm pretty sure I made it.   Also Jesse as of last Friday had lost 81 lbs so between us we've lost more than 100lbs.....how cool is that!  Not only that but our relationship continues to get better and better (not that it was bad before) but as we head up on our 6 year anniversary next month, I'm more in love with my husband than I have ever been :)

So that's why I'm thankful this week :)  I love writing this stuff down so I can bottle it up and read it again later :)

God is so good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You need to know how much I love you guys, and how proud I am of both of you! I am so grateful to have you both in my life. Love you lady!