Wow! I am in trouble if the next 18 years go as fast as the last 6 weeks. Daniel will be 6 weeks old tomorrow. Mostly I'm really tired! Where I thought I'd lucked out with baby that was sleeping 4 hours each night has turned into something far different. We went through a phase at the beginning of this week where all the little guy wanted was to be held and rocked and wouldn't let me put him in his cradle to go to sleep unless he was deep asleep. This about sent me over the edge and resulted in me being rather mean and starting a fight with my husband at 4 am on Tuesday morning....bleh! We seem to be moving past it but I'm starting to realize that I may have a bigger problem than him needing to be held- he's hungry all the time and I'm not sure that I can keep up. I've been pumping and feeding the little guy and taking Fenugreek and everything else I can think to do to keep my milk supply up and I feel like I can barely keep ahead of him. I'm hoping that getting more consistent about pumping will help me catch back up but I'm starting to worry that we're headed down the path of needing to supplement with formula. I know that worrying won't change my situation but I guess I was just hoping for some certainty somewhere- I've yet t find it!
On a different note this week was also a good week despite all the things that were happening with Daniel keeping me awake all night and my milk supply being uncertain. Jesse's mother came to stay with us for the week. I have to say I was a little bit nervous to have her come. I hadn't really gotten to spend much time with her before now and I didn't really know her. She turned out to be a wonderful house guest and a great mother-in-law! We sat and had many long talks, she offered encouragement on some of the rougher days I've had so far as a mommy and she helped me learn about my husband and in turn about my son :). I was really sad to see her go when we dropped her off at the airport this afternoon.
We also had my aunt and uncle come through to visit this week. My Dad's brother Steve and his wife Martha were on a long motor home trip from California and around the west. It was good to see them. I'm hoping it's not such a long time until our next visit.
Daniel is doing pretty well. He keeps me on my toes by changing the schedule a little every day. I'm starting to learn some coping strategies and so that's good. I am learning every day that I'm not in control of things anymore. He's starting to stay awake more and more of the day. He's also starting to track things with his eyes. The mobile over the play pen in the living room has become one of his favorites. He can track the little bears with his eyes and he moves his arms and legs all over the place :) I did find out this week that Jesse's eyes turned from blue to brown at about 9 months so that could change for Daniel too.
Well that's about the long and the short of my week :) I'm taking things one day at a time and hoping that it gets easier soon.
1 comment:
Jess, I wanted to encourage you in the breatfeeding. JT ate every two hours or less. You have plenty of milk for him they just digest it more quickly than formula. There was no real schedule until he was over three months old. You just let them eat when they are hungry and sleep when they are tired. It is important that you sleep too when he is sleeping. I would put JT on my chest in the mornings on the couch and sleep with him for two hours during all the morning talk shows. I loved that time. And seriously sleep while he is nursing at night. I can sympathize b/c I had to suplement with formula when I was pumping during the day b/c I couldn't get enough pumped for the daycare provider but I never had to supplement with him when he was with me and I never used a bottle. I just nursed and it was simple. I didn't start pumping until I went back to work. It definately tappers down and you guys will get on a schedule but don't give up. It is totally worth it to keep breastfeeding and it gets to be second nature.
Post a Comment