Friday, February 18, 2011

Baby News

I'm late, but I figure better late than never :)

It's been just about two weeks since our 20 week ultrasound.  And just in case you don't follow me on facebook- It's a boy!  I'm so excited to be able to have a pro-noun to attach to this little guy instead of "it" or "the baby".  I was pretty convinced he was going to be a girl but it wouldn't be the first time that I've been wrong about something.   He was pretty cooperative so we got some good pictures of him.


 The more exciting thing is that Jesse and I were able to start talking names.   We wanted to find the right name because there is a lot of pressure to make sure that it was something he can live with and wouldn't get made fun of.  Of course I know kids will take whatever name there is and do something with it but we could at least start with a good one :)

We also had a little bit of pressure from family.  My middle name (Hale) is supposed to be the name of the captain of the boat that brought my family over from England.  It was supposed to be given to the first male grandchild of every generation but my mother bucked tradition and gave it to me.  Despite it being a family name I've never liked it.  I got made fun of for it and have always had to explain what it was and why it was part of my name.  I decided I didn't want to pass it on.

We sifted through lots of names and right now the front runner is Daniel Ellis Keene.  I love the way it sounds.  Daniel means "God is my judge" which is something I want him to carry with him.  The fact that God is the only one that has power to judge is important and if he can remember that he'll avoid a lot of insecurity.   Ellis comes from Jesse's family but is a name that I hope will impart a value that's common to both our families-the value of knowledge and education.  Ellis was Jesse's paternal grandfather.  He was an educator.  We actually have educators all through our family.  My Paternal Grandfather was an engineering professor at University of Michigan, my paternal grandmother was a library, my maternal grandmother was a math teacher.  None of my grandparents had anything below a bachelor's degree and my parents both had at least a masters (my mom has a PhD).  Jesse's dad although not educated beyond high school is an incredibly intelligent man and loves to learn and read.  Because Jesse and I came from this background we both love to learn and read and it's something we want Daniel to carry with him.

I'm still feeling pretty good. I've had a couple of mornings that weren't so fun which has kind of been a surprise.  I wasn't expecting to have morning sickness this late in the pregnancy but I think my pre-natal vitamins might have had something to do with it.  I'm definitely looking pregnant but it's not so bad.  Jesse and I have been working hard to get the house ready for Daniel.  I finally got the futon out of the bedroom we're using for the nursery.  A friend from work bought it and she came and picked it up a couple of weeks ago with her son.  I'm waiting for furniture to get here but once it does we'll be in business and I'll be able to organize things as we pick them up.

Well that's about it.  We're at 22 weeks now- 18 left to go :)


4 comments:

Jo said...

Not that my opinion matters, but I like the name. I think Daniel is a great name and like the sound of Daniel Ellis Keene. Glad you guys are doing good. Excited to see you as parents, miss you both.

Angie @ CraftedAngles said...

Congrats! Great name...you may need to quilt a boy quilt soon!

Unknown said...

Ok, I love the name. It is precious for a baby, one he will grow into as well. Love you guys!

Dionne said...

How exciting. It all seems to really come together when you find out what you're having. Thanks for sharing the ultrasound pics.
Cheers,
Dionne