Sunday, February 7, 2010

Whoa! That was unexpected

This week has been crazy busy!  The first week of the month is always crazy busy at work because we start working on closing the previous month.  I also had Wallyball on Tuesday, Wednesday I had Bible Study (the first one at church), Thursday we had the annual dinner for work to celebrate being done with our year end.   So after all that Friday morning I was really looking forward to getting through the day and heading home to relax.  

Well that's not exactly what happend.  I was taking the dog to daycare like I always do on Fridays.  He gets to play with a bunch of other dogs and blow off some of his energy (he is a year old lab so there's a lot of it!).   We got on I-70 at Wadsworth like we always do and headed west.   I got over into the middle lane like I always do to avoid the traffic getting of the highway at Kipling.  I was at just about Carr St and BAM!!! 

It took me a minute to realize that I had been rear-ended.  I was still rolling along on the road and I realized that I had to get over or I was going to hit again.  I finally got the car over to the right side of the road but I was about 300 feet ahead of where the guy that hit me was stopped.   I couldn't see much because the sun was shining behind it.  I found my phone in my purse and called 911. 

I finally heard the police and the fire engine pull up to the other car.   I sat there for a little while and a lady in a Mini-van pulled up in front of me and she walked up to make sure that I was ok.  I didn't get her name but that really struck me as very kind to stop and make sure that I was alright.  

Meanwhile my poor dog was sitting in the backseat, unsure of what to do while I was freaking out.   Poor little guy didn't know what to make of all of it.     The next few minutes were phone calls to Jesse and my boss.  My boss was great, she knew I was taking the dog daycare and offered to come get Calvin so I didn't have to worry about him.  I told her that Jesse was coming but I appreciated it.  I sat there waiting for the Cop to come talk to me.  When he finally did I realized I didn't have current proof of insurance in the car (my card had expired in December)....so I got a ticket for that but not for the accident.  The police officer told me he hadn't gotten everything from the other guy yet because he was being taken to the hospital because his airbags had gone off.

 Jesse finally got there.  There was some debate between the police officer and the tow truck driver about whether or not my car needed to be towed.   It was running and drivable but the muffler was hanging really low.  When Jesse got there we decided to drive the car off of I-70 and into a parking lot to load it to the truck.  This made me feel better though because I was able to get Calvin out of the car without being on the highway.  It scared me to think that he might be running loose on I-70. 

Finally we got the car loaded up with the tow-driver and Jesse and I took the dog on to daycare.   After that we stop and got some lunch to take with us since neither one of us was going to have time to go to get anything after being late (and leaving work).  

I've been sore all weekend.  My neck and back are sore but I think I'm going to be ok.  The guy that hit me called me Friday afternoon and said he was sorry.  I know you're not supposed to do that but it meant a lot that he called to say that.   So right now we're waiting for the insurance company to look at my car and give a determination.   I'm hoping that it's not something like a bent frame or something that would make the car totalled.  I love my little car!

Well here's pictures: 




I was definitely not expecting this to happen Friday morning but it made me thankful for:
  • my husband!  He dropped everything to come help me and gives excellent hugs!
  • that my dog was ok and that he's here with me still!
  • that the other guy is ok.
  • for car insurance! and that my car will be fixed.
  • for the emergency responders that came.  I got off the road but the other guy needed their protection.  They kept things from getting a lot worse!
  • that it happened on a Friday so I could have the weekend to get my brain back together.
  • that Jesse and I can share a car without too much trouble until I can get a rental.
  • that God protected me from getting hurt or hit again.

No comments: