This is gonig to be a rant/ life post written on my lunch hour (haha as if such a thing exists) so please forgive the rambling nature.
Living Cube-ville this week is starting to make me crazy! Perhaps its just being tired or unsure about where I'm going with this company. Or perhaps I'm just generally ready for a change? No idea, but I'm really ready to scream. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a pressure cooker where things keep getting added to my plate and the appreciation/recognition (or lack there of) keeps turning up the heat.
My day has been ok so far. We don't have a baby sitter today. My sitter always takes vacation this week in October (she likes to be on vacation on her anniversary-which I totally understand) but it happens to be an awfully crazy week for me due to the quarter end/month end close process. Fortunately I have a friend who gets to stay home with her little girl and so she volunteered to watch Daniel for me. I felt really good about that but when I dropped him off today all I wanted to do was call in sick and hang out with my friend and the babies. I had to leave the house super-early to get Daniel to her house (6:15). Fortunately I planned to stop for coffee for me and for my friend. The lady at the starbucks must have gotten more than her daily allotment of speed before helping because the pitch, speed, and cheerfulness was way more than I could handle that early!
Being a working mom seems to be a rough spot because I'm always wishing I was someplace else or stressing about not getting something done. I never just get to sit back and enjoy. Yet most of time is spent listening to people tell me how quickly Daniel is grow and that I should just sit back and enjoy. REALLY? I had no idea about the sonic pace my son is growing up! The fact that he's blowing through clothing like crazy (wearing 18/24 month clothing and size 5.5 shoes!) wasn't my first clue. The next time you feel like lecturing a mom (especially a mom that works outside the home and spends the majority of the day away from her kiddo), think about your words. Mom's know but they don't need your silly advice about slowing down. Trust me if we could, we would!
Work has certain days and things that are just irritating as hell right now (please excuse my language but I can't think of a nicer way to put it). I work in an accounting department that's highly deadline driven. The 6th through the 10th workday is enough stress to make you sign up for a long tour at a funny farm. Today is the 9th work day and I'm cruising in on a scream. My office annoys me a lot. I sit about 5 feet from the world's loudest copy machine/printer/fax/noise-maker which jams about every fourth page. It also beeps with the press of every button. I can't help but wonder who decided to make that one of it's best features. Apparently there is no way to turn this off so until they redo our floor I'm stuck listening to the stupid printer. At least my desk isn't in the bathroom.....
The other thing that's irritating me today is the pop in at my desk. My desk is about 5 feet from the door that comes into the department, two feet from the admin for our department and right next to the printer.....lucky me! I generally have to put my Iphone on Pandora in order to get anything done or maintain any amount of sanity....is it any wonder that I try and work at home as much as possible. The most annoying pop in of the day was the quick pop around. A certain person who I deal with every 9th workday of the month, sent an email. In the time it took me to read the email and open the attachment from the email, she was at my desk asking me if I'd seen the email.....um yeah! If you give me a few minutes I might be able to do something with it. BLARGH! I seriously understand how Dilbert makes money!
Anyway, happy Thursday....Only about 26 more hours until I am free.....for two days....Life in Cubeville.
No comments:
Post a Comment